Week 2 Check-In
View Blog Post
This second week has been quite busy. Last week, I proposed a simple algorithm for Parabola into Box: iterate through the six planes of the Box and test for intersection with the parabola. Turns out, this algorithm was a bit too simple. After discussion with my mentors, I realized that the intersection point has to be behind all other planes of the box for a collision to exist. I spent a good part of Week 2 fixing my algorithm. One obstacle I came across was that at the corner of the box, it did not seem to pass my collision test. After talking to my mentors, I realized that it was only a matter of perspective. By using a different lens I confirmed that it was working correctly. After updating my pull request the algorithm is now merged!
For the second half of Week 2, I worked on Parabola into Inverse Sphere. As usual, I started off by writing some unit tests. This time, I made a test program (based off of my mentor's) to visualize the parabola and inverse sphere. I implemented the following algorithm: recursively subdivide the parabola into "close-enough" line segments, and test their intersection with the sphere. After passing all tests and appearing to be correct using the visualizer, I submitted a pull request for discussion and review.
Next week, I am scheduled to work on Box into Capsule detection. However, I will discuss with my mentors if it would be better to start working on the Heightfield class. I am excited for whatever comes next!
Week 1 Check-In
View Blog Post
For this first week, my goal was to implement Parabola into Box detection. I started off by writing some test cases that attempted to collide the CollisionParabola into CollisionBox. Of course, since no detection exists yet, the tests initially failed, but writing them put me in the direction to brainstorm about possible solutions. I decided to implement a simple algorithm: iterate through the 6 faces of the box, test their intersection with the parabola, and find the earliest point of intersection. If an intersection is found, it will return the surface point and surface normal. After passing all test cases, I opened a pull request to the main repository for review and discussion. My first week went well, with no significant obstacles.
For the remainder of the week, I will think about ways to improve my Parabola into Box algorithm. Additionally, I will start looking into the CollisionInvSphere to prepare for next week's goal: Parabola into Inverse Sphere. I anticipate that this will be more challenging and I can't wait to take it on. Stay tuned for next week's update!
View Blog Post
Hello and welcome to my blog! This summer, I am excited to be working on Panda3D to accomplish the following goals:
- Parabola into Box detection
- Parabola into Inverse Sphere detection
- Box into Capsule detection
- Implement a Heightfield class for collision with uneven terrains
The coding period has officially begun, so stay tuned for my weekly updates!