Sign up to the gsoc-general(at)python.org
mailing list to get updates, reminders, and to discuss questions. Please join the list
before you send a message!
The most common questions are answered here:
IRC / Live chat
Our IRC channel is #python-gsoc
irc.freenode.net. (Don't know IRC? Learn more at
Please wait for an answer! Many mentors are busy and can't chat right away.
You can access this channel many ways! They all connect together using magic provided
To talk with people from a specific sub-org, check their ideas
page listing for their mailing lists, IRC, and other contact information.
- Read first. We've tried to answer the common questions on this site, and
we get asked things like "How do I get started?" and
"Where do I find easy bugs?" a lot. Check the
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) on the student page for
- Be Patient! Our mentors typically have day jobs and can't always answer
right-away. If you can't hang out on IRC for an answer, send an email instead.
- Ask questions directly on IRC. You don't need to introduce
yourself or say hi first, just ask away!
- Communicate in public. That lets many mentors read your question so you
can usually get an answer faster.
For mentors: All the gsoc admins can be reached at
gsoc-admins(at)python(dot)org if you have questions about participating.
(Students should email gsoc-general(at)python.org with all of their
questions, unless they are of a sensitive personal nature.)
The 2019 Python Software Foundation (PSF) org admin team:
- Terri Oda (terri on IRC) - focus areas: figurehead, making final decisions,
- James Lopeman (meflin on IRC) - focus areas: IRC, ideas pages reviews, saying no
- John Hawley (warthog9 on IRC) - focus areas: infrastructure, advice, emergency
- Matthew Lagoe (Botanic on IRC) - focus areas: student blogs, irc bot, marking sure things
happen on time
- Kushal Das (kushal on IRC) - focus areas: advice, time zone coverage
The org admins can be reached at gsoc-admins(at)python(dot)org (for mentors)
Students should almost always visit Getting Started first, and
gsoc-general(at)python.org only if you get stuck.
We also have some "org admins emeritus" who may be able
to help you:
- Florian Fuchs (florianf on IRC)
- Stephen Turnbull (yaseppochi on IRC)