This week I focused in two things:
- Start writing new classes for previously existing atomic sources to bypass the SQL database and store data directly in HDF5 format. This is a much simpler approach and will speed things up for TARDIS developers when they need to build new atomic files. For an example, see PR #144.
- We started the process to set up a pipeline to download, extract and convert the entire CMFGEN database to HDF5. See PR #143.
Also in the process I learned a couple of things:
- How to use the module logger from the Python standard library (and why it's a good idea to use it).
- Why you should never use a bare `except` statement. Yep, learned this in the worst possible way.
- I'm getting good at writing regular expresions.
I will continue working at these two items the next week.
The second part of GSoC is almost ending and we already have some good results, but lot of work is ahead!