Hello everyone, and welcome to my introductory blog post.
My name is Enrico Carbognani and I am an undergraduate from the University of Luxembourg.
In this four months I will work on Python’s bug reporting platform. The main goal of this project is to Integrate the REST API that is being added to upstream Roundup to bugs.python.org (b.p.o), more specifically, as mentioned in my proposal, the following features will be added:
- Tools to easily generate random issues/messages, useful for testing
- Command-line interface to access the tracker
- Advanced statistics, graphs, leaderboards
- Real time filtering/ordering of issues
- Customizable dashboard
- Related issues suggestions
- Simpler integrations with other services (GitHub, IRC, etc.
This was the initial plan, however recently PEP581 was accepted, and most probably the goals of the project will have to change, most probably the tools developed generically for Roundup and not specifically for the b.p.o integration. My mentor is going against this change for reasons you can find at the newly raised PEP595, but only the future will tell how this change will shape the project. In the meantime, at least for the few incoming weeks, work will continue as planned.
Thank you for reading and for your time, see you in the next blog post.