Weekly Check-In #1 : Pygame POC

Published: 06/27/2022

This post marks the beginning of my official GSoC coding period. Starting from this post I will try to update everyone reading these posts about my weekly progress and the difficulties that I faced. So let's get to it.

What did I do this week?

According to my proposal I was supposed to spend the first two weeks closing the previous PRs and implementing a basic sqlite wrapper that could be further extended for the Bases se datos lecture. However, since no major PRs were required to be closed, me and my mentors decided that I should better complete the Pygame POC that was still not in place. Although we had decided upon how we wanted the Pygame lectures to be implemented, there was no proof-of-concept that actually showed that our idea would work. So I spent my first week preparing a basic Pygame wrapper.

What is coming up next?

Next, we have have decided to complete the SQL wrapper and get that PR merged. Doing so we will have put both our proof-of-concepts in place and then we can start designing the lectures (if we don't run into any bugs😝). 

Did I get stuck anywhere?

I think there isn't going to be a week where the answer to this question is going to be "No" 😂. I definitely got stuck at many places. First of all I couldn't decide upon a particular idea that I wanted to go forward with. I had two options that me and my mentors had decided previously. I could use the old and unmaintained(😖) brython fork of pygame and build my wrapper using this or I could use gamejs API and build my wrapper around that. Although the second option sounded better, this meant I had to design the Pygame wrapper from scratch and that would take more time than I had. The problem with the first option was that it was not well maintained and had too many bugs. I tried my best to make it work by sorting out some bugs but soon realised it was not enough to implement the lectures. I had made a PR earlier to show that some parts of this old fork could be used but still couldn't be finally used.