sudharsana-kjl's Blog

Weekly Check-in #4

sudharsana-kjl
Published: 06/24/2019

In the fourth week of coding, I worked on fixing the changes requested by my mentor in my previous PR and also on implementing label feature for the next type of source. What did I do this week? In this week, my previous PR was reviewed and my mentor had requested changes. I worked on a different approach to solve that as suggested by my mentor and gave a PR and got it reviewed.After that, I started working on implementing labels for another type of FileSource namely CSVSource. I have submitted a PR for this and I'm waiting for it to get reviewed. What is coming up next? Once my PR gets merged, I will start working on the phase two of my project which involves experimenting with different databases for our application and improving the storage. Did you get stuck anywhere? The task in hand was well explained because of which I was able to finish it smoothly.
View Blog Post

Blog #2

sudharsana-kjl
Published: 06/24/2019

This post describes in detail about what I've been working on in the past few days. In my previous blog posts and weekly check-ins, I have written about how i've been contributing to the project. This week saw good improvement. As per my schedule, I'm a bit ahead. I've already implemented label feature for JSONSource that was successfully merged and closed. I was working on solving the issue #48. After that I was working on implementing the label feature for CSVSource as well. I have successfully given a PR and I'm hoping that it gets reviewed and merged by this week. I have also added test cases for this feature. Looking forward to wrap up with this soon so that i can start working on the next phase of my project!
View Blog Post

Weekly Check-in #3

sudharsana-kjl
Published: 06/19/2019

In the third week of coding, I worked on fixing the PR and moved on to work in the next type of source. 

What did I do this week?

In this week, my PR was successfully merged and closed. Once that was done, u started working on implementing labels for another type of FileSource namely CSVSource. Before I could directly start working on the feature, I had to fix an issue which was related to it. The issue can be found here. I submitted a PR to fix this issue and that can be found here. The PR was successfully merged and closed. 

What is coming up next?

My mentor decided to go in a different approach to solve the issue that I had been working on since the current approach required FileSource to be changed directly. I'm working on it.

Did you get stuck anywhere?

This week was quite smooth. Now that I have a good understanding of the code base and what has to be done to fix the issue, I didn't face any blocks as such.

View Blog Post

Weekly Check-in #2

sudharsana-kjl
Published: 06/10/2019

In the second week of coding, my mentor reviewed my PR and helped in debugging the code. We were having problems in passing the test cases and it required changes outside the expected part of the code. More details about the PR can be found here.

What did I do this week?

The entire week was spent in debugging the code. In between we tried a different approach to the problem. We also discussed this during the weekly catch up call and finally, after a lot of effort we debugged them.

What is coming up next?

I'll be adding more tests to open and update data simultaneously as this would be required.

Did you get stuck anywhere?

Thankfully I didnt get stuck anywhere this week. Thanks to the efforts of my mentor who clearly instructed me on what is required to be done.

View Blog Post

Blog #1

sudharsana-kjl
Published: 06/10/2019

This is a detailed blog post regarding my first week of code.

My work involves adding a label feature to tag the datasets such that when I train multiple models on the same datasets i'm able to distinguish between them which would be very helpful while training multiple models simultaneously.

As a stepping stone, my mentor asked me to implement it for a specific type of source, and hence JSONSource was chosen. The codebase has grown a lot since i wrote my proposal so most of the time was spent in understanding the workflow so that i can analyse where the changes have to be made. After trying to understand the code by giving so many print statements in between lines, finally I got an idea of how i'm supposed to achieve my goal.

Now that I know what changes have to be done, the challenge was in not only making those changes but also testing it. While making the changes, there have been instances where unexpectedly we see some whacky behaviour. This lead to code changes in places we didn't expect in the beginning. Thanks to this, now we have tightened up few loose ends. After making the necessary changes, my mentor and I worked on testing it.

Initial testing was a failure and there were so many unexpected errors. Since the changes were done in a function that dumps the data into a file, all the tests that were directly or indirectly using this were failing. We figured out everything expect for JSONDecodeError that was occuring when we are trying to do json.load() in dump_fd() in JSONSource.

We somehow figured why this error occured and fixed it in the future week. See the next blog post for updates on this!

View Blog Post