Week 2

wzao1515
Published: 06/06/2019

As described last week, this week I mainly focused on solving the environment setup and enhance the test files to support Windows commands. I have made a pull request at https://github.com/intel/cve-bin-tool/pull/146.

The thing that I did is that under Windows, the header (magic byte) of the compiled binary file is not same as it's in Linux, it is 'MZ\x90\x00'. Besides, the "rm" command should be replaced with "erase" under Windows.

In this week, I will try to rewrite "string" and "file" command in C and test them in both Linux and Windows. In Linux, I hope it could run the whole process and scan for different type of files like rpm, tar... And in Windows, since extractor is not implemented, I will just test its parsing functionality. After that, I will start implementing the extractor under Windows, the first goal would be zip. Some test cases are need, ideally would be curl. The problem that I might encounter is how to extend Python with C. There are two ways but I'm not sure which one would be ideal. I asked John for his help, so I might wait for him first.

1000 characters left