abhirup@99's Blog

Weekly Check-In The End

Published: 08/24/2021

Time flies and here we are at the end.

I spent the last week cleaning the codebase a bit more, squashing a bug here and there and adding codecov to the repo. The code quality has improved a lot, and the codecov CI would visualize all the test coverage. The UI for the fiigma plugin got an upgrade and now looks pretty neat and clean. I documentated my PRs and the status reports in a separate repo marking the end of these journey :).

I want to thank my mentors for being a massive part in this journey and giving me the opportunity to work on the plugins. This has helped me grow tremendously, and learn React among other things. I would try to keep contributing to EOS after GSOC ends. Till then, peace out :).
View Blog Post

Weekly Check-In #11

Published: 08/16/2021

We are in the last week now. It had been a great learning experience. Both the Figma and Adobe plugin are ready to be deployed now.

Adobe Plugin

I pushed some of the final changes to the Adobe Plugin repo, updating the README with the get started information and improving the code a bit. The types are better now with the prop types, with no errors on that end.


We completed the entire plugin. I have implemented the tests with Jest and the coverage is 100% now. We revamped the UI, made it more intuitive, and improved the documentation. The documentation mentions the steps more clearly now, allowing anyone to get started quickly.
View Blog Post

Weekly Check-In #10

Published: 08/09/2021

Figma Plugin

There is new UI for Figma now, We have options to select category, and the themes available. There are helper texts, and no network calls, making it work completely offline now. We added helper scripts to update the data eveything a new package is released for npm, and the package is using the latest version of EOS Icons react package, which included the breaking change of having SNAKE CASE. I would be adding tests once the UI becomes final and we freeze it. And we would be having 2 complete packages for Figma and Adobe :).

Adobe Plugin

I worked with the mentors, and added the clear functionality, and updated the EOS Icons react package to use SNAKE CASE. There was a PR to wrap all functions with useCallback to improve the performance and prevent unneccessary renders or copy of them on the component updates. We are moving towards the end now, and I would like to publish the work soon now. :)
View Blog Post

Weekly Check-In #9

Published: 08/02/2021

We are approaching the end now. And I am glad to share that the Adobe extension is ready now.

Adobe extension

We now have 100% coverage for all the files. I have added tests for each of the files. The UI is frozen now, and it looks awesome. We implemented the tests using Jest, and I learnt a lot while reading through the docs. I mocked quite a few things, and all the static files. The only file which couldn't be tested was the App.js which was importing the Adobe inbuilt APIs, so couldn't be tested in isolation. I plan to add codecov this week, and increase the documentation a bit more to help newcomers get started on the project.

Figma extension

The revamp is almost ready now waiting to be pushed. I am cleaning up the code now, squashing more bugs, and making the UI a bit more response. It really looks awesome, and I am looking forward to sharing it with my mentors.
View Blog Post

Weekly Check-In #8

Published: 07/26/2021

Figma revamp

This week was spent in more reading than actual coding. I went through the Figma documentation trying to understand stuff better. I am currently in the process of overhauling the Figma UI. We would be revamping it, trying to make it at par with the current Adobe extension. I have added the scripts to integrate the EOS Icons package inside the repo, and the options json. This would lead to a quicker completion of the Figma revamp. I also went through the various options available for the adding the stylesheets for Figma. The Figma structure is a bit more lenient than the Adobe one, so hopefully everything would be sorted quickly. The initial work and structure of the revamp has been completed, and I would be finalizing the CSS changes and pushing a PR for the same in the coming days.

Adobe updates

I incoporated the feedback given by the mentors on the UI, and the UI looks neater now with a bit more of visual feedback for the options available. I added labels to the various input fields, improved the codebase a bit, and also added a basic modal to tell the user that the image has been copied over. I have been studying a bit about implementing tests with Jest, test runner. We figured out it would not be possible to add integration tests to it, as it depends on some of the inbuilt APIs from Adobe, but we would be writing unit tests for the various functions present. I have gone through the documentation and would be pushing the PR shortly with the changes.
View Blog Post